Sep 5, 2008

Tokyo Day 3 - the Imperial Palace

Today I woke up about 7am and went to eat the breakfast provided by Toyoko Inn. They have croissants and a savory type of bread. Shouma wouldn't wake up early so I went and eat by myself, it was kinda fun to be the only white girl amoung many Japanese business men haha. I didn't bring my camera so I don't have a pic of the food, but I will get one tomorrow. When I went back to the room I ate half of the chestnut daifuku I got the night before. It was really good!

Then we got ready and rode the train to Tokyo station which was only 2 stops away, it was full but not packed haha. We got lost in Tokyo station for awhile but it was interesting just looking at everything and all the people. When we got out we wandered a little bit before going to the Imperial Palace grounds. Marunouchi is kinda a stuffy place and has a pretty western look.

Photobucket
Tokyo Station

We had to walk quite a few blocks because Shouma wanted McDonalds, which was fine with me, but it seems that type of food is not appreciated in downtown Tokyo haha. I wanted to try a Tsukimi burger, but I knew I couldn't finish it so I got a Chicken Shaka cheese flavor and a McBakery Chocolate Danish. They were both good, and the chicken was bigger then I thought it would be. It's about the size of a large chicken patty. The cheese flavor was good but not quite strong enough for me.

Photobucket
My lunch

Then after a bathroom break at a very clean restroom we walked over to the Imperial Palace grounds, it was quiet warm and there wasn't as many white gaijin as I thought there would be. I walked all the way up to the gate only to find it was closed today! haha. They said they are closed every friday, but I thought they closed every monday, huh. Anyhow I got a few nice photos even though it was closed.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Looking towards Marunouchi

Photobucket

Since it was so hot I just headed for a area with lots of trees and sat in the shade for a looooong time. Lots of people were also relaxing, and talking and eating ice cream. I saw a cicada shell for the first time, laying in the grass, but also there were ants everywhere. I started to head back to the hotel a little after 3pm and took the subway instead of the trains, it took longer but it was less busy. Now I have been watching TV and relaxing in my hotel until 7 and then I will go eat dinner at Skylark Gusto.

Photobucket
Where I was just chillin' all day ha!

1 comment:

Columbiathe1 said...

Wow, I love these pictures! Too bad the Imperial palace was closed-are you going to try again?

Looks so hot, even the Japanese guys are laying around with their shoes off in the park! You will be glad for the cool weather in Minnesota when you get back!