Sep 8, 2008

Day 6 - Shimbashi and Odaiba

Photobucket
The breakfast provided by Toyoko Inn
Today I went to visit Odaiba, I wanted to visit Decks and AquaCity and just see a place I had never seen before. We left a bit later then usual, at 12, and it was very hot! We needed to change trains at Shimbashi and Shouma suggested we walk around Hama Rikyu garden since we already there. It wasn't the best day for strolling through a garden however. There were many older people and foriegners visiting, but the garden itself wasn't as amazing as the guide books may lead you to believe. There are some areas that seem to be completely unkempt, but it's only 300Y to enter so you might as well visit if you are near. We only managed maybe 30 minutes in the heat so we went back to the station, got lost, then went off to Odaiba.
Photobucket
Shimbashi
Photobucket
Hama Rikyu

Photobucket

The train ride to Odaiba is rather fun, you get nice city views, and can watch the Rainbow Bridge as you approach. It's very amazing to think Odaiba was built on garbage. Also since Odaiba is such a dating/tourist type of place, you don't really realize that people live and work there! I passed many condos, high-rise apartments and even a school. As we exited the train we came out right in front of a hotel, we could immediatly see the Fuji TV station to the right and turning to the left there is the mini Statue of Liberty. So I snaped some photos of these Odaiba icons.

Photobucket
Photobucket

Shouma really likes(liked) Kua Aina burger, so when we spotted this very notably facade he got excited and our lunch spot was decided on the spot. I wasn't hungry so I just had an orange juice. He had a burger, and popcorn shrimp. This branch is decidely more expensive, but Shouma says that the food is actually not as good as the one in Yokohama.

Photobucket

Then we did a little shopping in AquaCity. I got some window gel clings and Shouma got a air freshener with a Hawaiin picture on it in some random trinket shop. I looked around Claires and they do have some cute stuff, but I wanted to save my money. Then we went down to the boardwalk and stared at the ocean, the heat ruined that too tho. We went to decks next and enjoyed a bit more shopping. I saw some really cute bags and clothes, but I can't shop too much because nothing fits and Shouma gets bored by it. I saw Joypolis, didn't go in, and walked through the Showa era floor and got a gashapon.

Photobucket
Decks and some apartments

Photobucket
Joypolis
Photobucket

Then I went to Toys R Us, which I had been excited to do for a long time. I always loved Toys R Us (before it changed and became not so cool) and I worked there once so I really wanted to see the Japanese version. First off was a big section just for Pokemon and also a large baby section. But they have sooo much cute stuff in the girls section and some next models in the boys. I bought some stuff, and enjoyed going there. There main difference between the two is size, and cuteness.

I didn't get home until after 8pm and so we just got take out gyudon from Yoshinoya for a quick dinner. It was a fun day, but it would have been really fun if the heat would have been tolerable.
Photobucket

1 comment:

Columbiathe1 said...

The view of the Rainbow Bridge is beautiful. And I want to eat that gyudon.