Mar 12, 2008

I like steak, I like hamburg!

Mos Burger!So whenever I happen to ask a Japanese male what his favorite food the answer often includes steak or hamburg, or both! I've never been a real big fan when it comes to red meat, so I just generally don't include it in my diet. But when living in Japan with a man who everytime you ask "What would you like to eat?" answers with an enthusiastic "Steak!" it becomes a bit difficult to avoid.


The only time I ever had real trouble was when we went to eat at Red Steak House in World Porters in Yokohama. They really truly only had steaks, the only non steak (or hamburg) item on their menu was curry. Now at that time I didn't acquire the taste for Japanese curry yet. Suffice to say, it became a bad evening.

Well besides that night, I did become more adventurous after awhile. Of course I had to try McDonalds, that's right McDonalds! Ooooo! The first time I tried Japanese McDonalds was in Kamakura. I had chicken McNuggets, which was a bad choice but I got all flustered when I reached the front of the line and had to decide quickly. You see they didn't have the full menu displayed above the counter, instead they chose to randomly post it over some seats in the middle of the dining room. And then when I got my nuggets Shouma dropped them all over the table. Another bad evening.

So next time when I finally got to see the full menu at McDonalds I was able to choose something we don't have in the US - the McPork! Yeah it's not a hamburger but - Oh glorious McPork, how I miss your salty sweet tangy flavor, and your tender texture! But seriously, the McPork rocks and I recommend highly. I also tried the teriyaki burger, which was good as well but, come on, the McPork is 100yen! Its nice because it doesn't come with mayo, unlike most everything else in Japan but I didn't know it the first time I ordered. So I told Shouma "I don't want mayo." he replies "Ok" but just stares at me for awhile and asks "So what do you want?" Apparently he didn't know the word Mayo, but he has this terrible habbit of just saying ok or yeah when he doesn't understand. So I got frustrated and walked away. Another ba- you see the pattern??

Anyway, I ate the McPork about 5 times! Another burger I tried was the Mos Burger of course! This is a burger chain that is native to Japan and therefore worth a try. Mos stands for Mountain Ocean Sun (I've heard Sky also), I'm not sure what its meant to mean (if it means anything at all) and they have a interesting menu. Check out an English translation of their menu. I only ate there once, which in retrospect is regrettable, and I had the regular Mos Buger. It was a good burger, not great, but pretty messy to eat. Its really nice that they serve you on real plates and glasses, and the interior is pleasant as well. Next time I want to try a rice burger.

I had one other burger, which was apparently a famous burger in Japan, but I forget its name. Shouma's father and step-mom brought it back from a trip to Kawasaki. Well it was a burger with cheese, bacon, egg and mayo on it! I whiped off the mayo but I'm afraid to think about how many calories were in that....


No comments: