Feb 11, 2008

Gyudon Tonight

Ah, one of my true loves from Japan - Gyudon. Today I thought, well I like gyudon so much and I can't just walk down the street and eat it at Suki-ya anymore so I might as well try making it. I reached some recipes on the internet and ended up using This One.

Well it turned out tasting alright (besides the dashi releasing an eye watering stink in our kitchen, perhaps I will talk about the smell issues with dashi at further length in a later entry). The two problems we had with it were it's difficult to find the highly-marbled thinly sliced beef around here, and we didn't have any sake. It seems like you really need the sake to make it taste just right. But otherwise I was so happy! I will be trying this again as soon as we can pick up a small bottle of sake.


1 comment:

Grimalkin said...

There's an asian market near my townhouse - you should come with me sometime! I want to try making calamari, but I like the ones that look like little baby squids instead of just cut into rings (I know, I'm so gross...)